Pages

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Goal setting tip #1 for the New Year

A few years ago I had just gone through a divorce and was on a plane to LA . I decided it was time to start my life over and set some fresh goals. On that flight I must have set 30 goals for the year and maybe accomplished 2 of them. I was just a little overzealous to say the least.

I have always been goal oriented but have come to realize that narrowing your focus is more productive. When setting goals focus on a few things so you can really zero in your focus instead of trying to juggle too many balls at once. Eventually you will drop some of them.

As you look into the New Year pick 2-3 things per quarter to accomplish. Don't get overzealous like I did. Look at everything you want to accomplish this year and break it into phases where it is manageable instead of overwhelming yourself and not getting any them accomplished.

Have someone else look at them and give you some honest feedback. You want to set reach goals where you have to work hard but are attainable instead of trying to do the impossible. 

Remember how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. So make sure this year you include both short and long term goals as well as checkpoints for both.

This will set you up for success.

No comments: