Pages

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Training the 3 phase!



I’m Chris Brinson, a personal trainer for the Puravida Fitness team. I went to school about two years ago to become a personal trainer. I had always loved to workout and stay in the best shape I could be in. During school, one of the credits was to look for an Internship to gain more skills on the job training.


During this time I worked with Erik Peacock, the head personal trainer and manager on training in the three phases of training. He brought me through these phases starting with the stability phase. The stability phase might seem boring but it has the most benefits out of any phase. Without stability you can’t build that good foundation you need to go through the other phases. A lot of exercises done in this phase are on 1 leg or core stability. These are especially important to reduce the risk of injury, and to progress you at the rate you should be progressed at.

The next phase of training after going through the stability phase, would be strength. Now this is basically where you want to build up muscle before going into the higher strength and power phases. A few exercises would be doing bar squats along with alternating lunges. Some upper body exercises could include free weight squat to curl, and shoulder press. This phase shouldn’t be looked past. It is very important to time the necessary time to complete, and only move on when you feel like your strength isn’t going anywhere. Going through this phase basically sets up the next one.

The last and final phase is the power phase. This phase not everyone needs to go through. Basically it’s a heavy strength exercise followed by an explosive movement. An example, would be a heavy cable chest press followed by a traveling pushup on a bosu ball, which is a pushup that is explosive. Without going through the first two phases this phase would almost be impossible without risk of injury.

After going through these phases, I have never felt so great in my life. I now know that training in all phases helps in more ways than one. I haven’t been injured, and it’s more importantly given me the confidence to try or do anything. I am able to give my clients a little of what they want and need when going through the three phases of training. You might not like all of them, but the benefit is far greater.

No comments: