Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Those voices in my head



Many times the alarm goes off in the morning and it's hard to climb out form under the covers and get going.

I get these voices in my head.

I promise I'm not crazy so keep reading.

You probably know them they say "skip your workout today sleep in" or the infamous  procrastinator voice that tries to bargain with me and says "you can always do it tomorrow."

Once I get to the gym there is another one that chimes in " go light today or skip weights and do cardio." There always seems to be some voices that tell me things that are contrary to my goals.

Then when it comes to eating the one that always tries to sucker me in with "just one won't hurt." Many times when I listen to that voice one ends up being 6, 8 or 10.

As crazy as it sounds I believe we all have these voices inside telling us to take the easy route and justifying. The problem is that these voices don't have our best interest in mind when it comes to being successful in whatever endeavor we are pursuing.

Sometimes it pays to listen to them. Like when you are sick or overtrained but the majority of the time they are saboteurs. 

Almost every time I ignore those voices and push through I feel better and have a great sense of accomplishment.

Why do I push through these things.  Why is why. No I'm not trying to confuse you.  I'm talking about my WHY.  My WHY is what gets me up it is more powerful than all those voices.



So if  you are struggling to get up and stay committed to your fitness goals you are not alone. Most people are starting to abandon their New Years resolutions goals. 

Here is your first step to sticking to those resolutions and being successful.

Find your ‘why.’




When you find your ‘why’ – which is your personal, underlying motivation for getting healthy and fit – then you tap into real commitment – and your fitness success becomes a foregone conclusion.



Because when your ‘why’ is strong enough, you’ll show up for your training sessions, every time – without fail. And, as Woody Allen says, “80% of success is just showing up!”



But one thing we know for sure…it’s easier to remember WHEN to show up if you’ve got it scheduled on your calendar, smartphone or whatever!



And here’s something that’s profound…



The irony of commitment is… it sets you free!



Nothing has the power to eliminate stress, anxiety and worry like commitment. Commitment sets you free – it liberates you. Because we all recognize, at some level, commitment is inevitable if we really want what we say we want. And it’s commitment that empowers us to get what we want. Intention is where you start, the goal is where you finish – but it’s your commitment that carries you through the race.



I hope that doesn’t sound ‘hokey’ to you…because it’s not. Commitment is the cure. Because commitment produces action, and action produces results.

No comments: