Pages

Friday, August 22, 2008

Doing It Your Own Way

So many times in life I see people who are struggling with their exercise and eating keep trying to do do it on their own. Many of these people continue to struggle with the same barriers and make the same mistakes time and time again. Others realize the futility of this and ask for help.

Wouldn't you seek out help on trying to invest money or start a business because these things require expertise and important decisions to be made. Why is exercise so different? If you do it incorrectly you can end of damaging your back, neck , shoulders or another part of your body. You can also waste precious time slaving away and getting zero results!!!

I can't tell you how many times I've had conversations where people tell me what they are doing and I almost cringe at their thought process or sometimes they ask me for my advice on an exercise or nutrition related topic but give me the "that's not the answer I wanted to hear so I won't do that" look. These are even close friends and family members. I have several overweight and poorly functioning family members who will openly talk in front of me about some stupid diet plan or exercise routine that is "the best" and yet the next family gathering or function 6 months down the road, they look the same or worse.


I personally believe if you want to accomplish something big you need to have coach. That coach needs to have knowledge in the area of the goal that you want to accomplish. They should also have a track record of practicing what they preach. That person will draw out a strategic plan of execution to get you to your goal in lot less time than you could on your own.

That is really what a personal trainer is. They are someone to draw out a plan to help get you there faster thus saving you alot of the precious commodity we know as "time." I view myself as a coach and also buy what I sell which is essentially coaching.

I pay to be in a business development coaching company because no one ever taught me about marketing, business ownership and how to really run a business. These guys have done it successfully and they keep me challenged and motivated. On my own I tried doing these things and it was pathetic compared to what I am doing now with my business. I've learned so much in a short time. I still have a long way to go but feel I've made drastic improvements as to how I run my business. It has given me back time and allowed me to work smarter not harder so I can keep my life more in balance. This is just one example. I have always looked at buying coaching as an investment versus an expense.

If you have struggled with exercise, weight loss, or something else health and fitness related, quit wasting your time!! Bite the bullet and hire a good trainer or get involved with an exercise group or coaching program. Quit trying to do it on your own. You have to come to the realization that you suck at it. And that's okay, we can't all be good at everything. Get off the hamster wheel of starting and stopping exercise as well as dieting and hire a good trainer to get you on track and keep you there.

This shouldn't require you to take out a second mortgage on your home. The more often people come they do see results quicker but not all of us can afford to do that. If you are on a tight budget I would suggest you start with a couple of initial sessions to get you going on the right foot and then checking in for 1-2 sessions once per month. This will keep you challenged and motivated as well as allow you to monitor your progress. The clients I see that get the best results generally do alot on their own and utilize a trainer to tweak and change their plan to avoid plateaus and keep them progressing as well as interested. Don't we all get bored of doing the same thing over an over again?

So if you are a doitonmyowner , I would like to ask you " are you getting results that are moving you closer to your goals?" if you can't answer a resounding yes than it's time to suck it up, throw aside your pride and get a better plan for success that will get you there quicker.

Discussion Question Of The Week...
What has been your biggest barrier to hitting your fitness goals??

No comments: