Pages

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Everyone Needs An Outlet!!

Boy, everywhere we turn these days there is bad news. The economy sucks, people are losing their jobs, we are in two wars, and there is no hope in sight!! It can really bog a person down and suck your energy like a vacuum leaving you drained, depressed and unmotivated.

I was there the other day. I felt down had a bad attitude and was felling stressed about various thing going on with my life. This was Sunday and I didn't exercise that day because it is usually a family day. Come Monday I was still feeling anxious and stressed. Well, I went to do my workout and once I started to lift weights and get into it the stress and anxiety went away , I started to draw energy and feel stronger on the inside. When I was done I felt 100% better. This reminded of the number one reason that I do exercise. Not for my physical health but for my mental health.

I know so many people who are constantly in this stressed out mind set 24/7. Pretty much all of them do little if anything for exercise. There seems to be a correlation between the two. If you do not have a good outlet that stress will just keep building and building and building until it eats you alive!!

It is so important to have something to release your stress on. I can't tell you how many times a client has come in after a bad day and we hit and threw things and they felt better afterwards. It's therapeutic. Really if you are in that state right now, look at what you are doing for any type of release. If it is alcohol or food probably not a good choice but if you are exercising or doing something active that helps you mange stress then cudos to you.

The thing we have to remember is that exercise is not always about sets, reps, bodyfat percentage and heart monitors. It is really about being apiece of a complete wellness package and helping you not only become strong physically but stay strong mentally!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I look at my workout as a regular habit, like brushing my teeth or taking a shower. It is the best part of my day. My workout helps to eliminate worry and stress, gives me energy and mental focus.