Pages

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

ACE Hardware Vs. Home Depot

When I was in high school I worked at mom and pop hardware store in Prior Lake, Minnesota. It was a great experience because of the atmosphere. We knew every customer on a first name basis and many times customers would stay around long after purchasing their merchandise just to shoot the breeze. The owners of the hardware store were never going to be filthy rich but they made a living and many loyal friends in the process. Most importantly they seemed happy and content with being an instrumental part of the community. I always knew this experience would be a great influence on me in the future.

Two years ago I moved to Apple Valley a suburb here in the Twin Cities area. We have both an ACE hardware and a massive Home Depot. I frequently have to go to our neighborhood ACE hardware which is a mom and pop store for various projects for my house and our rentals. I always prefer to go there because someone is always right there to help me, they are knowledgeable and the fact that they are a small business like myself. They are family owned trying to make a living helping people get things done around there homes.

Other times I have had to go to Home Depot the mammoth super center where it is nearly impossible to find someone to help you and when they do many times you get poor advice or end up with the wrong item. I don't know anyone over there on a first name basis like I do my local ACE. Even the other day, I had to go there for something because it's close to one of my rentals. It took me forever to get help and when I did the employee gave me the wrong part. I feel like the people there are just there to colect a check there is no vision or vested interest in truly serving like the smaller stores have. It's about showing up and getting paid to take up space not about building true realtionships with your customers. Which to me is the key to long term stability with your business.

The only thing in Home Depot's favor is the their prices are slightly lower. Personally I don't mind paying a little more for better service and to be treated like a VIP every time I walk in.
I also feel good about supporting the little guy at a time when Corporate America is devouring them up.

This why we have decided to offer the chance to be members at our facility. It's smaller not as fancy as Lifetime or other clubs but we will offer the mom and pop atmosphere people seldom see these days. All of our clients will be treated like family and we will create that small town mom and pop atmosphere that seems to be so lacking in many businesses these days.

Long live the little guys!!

No comments: