Pages

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Competitive Spirit!




Many times we are told that competition is bad and that everyone should be a winner. Personally I think this is a crock. Competition is what makes us better. When people don't have anyone pushing them they tend to coast and not give it their best.

Last weekend I did a mountain biking race for the first time and I had some friends doing it with me. One of them is an active 50 year old who is competitive like me. We pushed each other during the race and I know I worked a lot harder than I would have had he not been on my tail the whole time. Him trying to catch me.... me trying to stay ahead. In the end we were congratulating each other for pushing each other hard.

Right now we are running the Jumpstart and Summit programs and it amazes me sometimes how people shy away from a challenge so easily. There is an old saying that says nothing good comes easy. If you look at life everything is competition in some form.

You compete when you're out there dating and trying to find a spouse. You compete in business. Everywhere you go there is some form of competition. The concept that everyone should play nice and just get along is a sham. I do not mean that you have to be a jerk. I always respected people who give me good competition because it makes me bring out my A-game. Otherwise I would probably slack off.

So to put my money where my mouth is I'm going to jump in the Jumpstart challenge with a fellow trainer. We will compete against the clients, not for places or prizes, instead so we get better. Sometimes we are so busy taking care of others we let ourselves go. So it's time to put up or shut up.

Some of you I know won't agree with me and that's okay but in my own life competition has made me better and forced me to keep moving ahead and improving. During our last Jumpstart contest I saw it do the same for many of our clients as well.

And really competition does not have to be against someone elsehead to head. It can be mastering a tough mountain bike course, beating personal your best 5k time or doing a triathlon. My final point is that it is good to push yourself and get out of your comfort zone. You may find it addicting and rewarding at the same time!

No comments: