Pages

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

You really don't have it that bad!!


I'm going to rant in this post. I'm tired of hearing people whine about how tough they have it and hard their life is. If you think your life is stressful just remember that there are a lot of people who are dealing with much bigger issues than you.


I recently attended a deployment ceremony for one of my best friends. He is heading off to Afghanistan for 1 year, leaving his wife and three kids. I bet his everyday thoughts are going to be about staying alive so he can get back to his family. Kind of makes things like kids activities, keeping the house clean and problems at the office look petty. Still, I find myself feeling very proud of him for his sense of duty, discipline and overall positive attitude about the whole situation. It makes me more irritated with people I listen to here in our cushy society.

I have noticed people have a hard time committing to things and tend to flake out and make excuses for not following through on something whether it is an exercise program, a volunteer activity or even social plans.

What I really respect about our military personnel is that they understand commitment and see things through without whining, bitching or making excuses. They just get it done.
So what have you been complaining about lately? Ask yourself are you just making excuses or blaming others for something that is really your fault? I hear things like "I can't lose weight because I have to cook for my_____ ." Does that mean you have to cook crappy food and eat it too? Could you not cook healthy meals? Here is another one - "you need to motivate me to lose weight!" No, I'm sorry it has to come for you. Or my personal favorite "it's so hard, I'm so busy." Do you think you are the only one that's busy? What it comes down to is priorities. If your priority is shopping, sleeping in, or watching TV during times that you could be exercising than quit whining. You make time for what your priorities are. If weight loss is a priority than you need to make time to exercise, plan meals and shop for healthy foods. Otherwise, you have no one to blame but yourself.
So the next time you find yourself complaining or having your own pity party, ask yourself "is it really that bad" and if you are blaming someone else, take a look in the mirror. As the saying goes "we cannot complain about what we allow!"

No comments: