Pages

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Why I like adversity


When I think back on my life to experiences that changed me and gave character I always think of mt football career.

You see I started out playing as a young kid and when I got to high school I was a freshman screw off. Luckily I had a coach who encouraged me and got me focused on something other than being a royal pain in the butt.  In 9th grade I was on the B team and didn't take football seriously but in 10th grade that special coach came in and gave me a shot. It was that year of my life where I learned to focus and work hard towards a goal. Well when I got into my junior year it was the big step up to varsity where I played a back up role behind someone who wasn't getting the job done but nevertheless he remained the starter.

That didn't stop me I was more determined to start my senior year. Well after another  year of hard work I became a starter as a senior and had a decent season. I felt I had more in me so I walked on at Mankato State where I had 2 goals
1.)Earn a scholarship
2.)Become a starter on a college team.

For the first 3 years I toiled on the scout team taking my lumps from the starting defense who were all borderline psychotics. Anyway the same scenario came up as in high school. I was working my butt off beating up on scholarship players who were playing ahead of me. At one point I decided to quit but that only lasted until the next morning when I showed up for the morning workouts without my teammates.

That spring I earned my scholarship and that following fall I became a starter. Had I quit I would have missed out on some special times and the privilege of playing college football and even the honor of making the national playoffs. Wow that was a crossroads in my life!

When I am having challenges in my business or life in general I think back to those days.  The ironic thing is I don't think about the scholarship or starting. No I think about the extra hard work and dedication it took to accomplish those goals and see them through.  I think about the journey to get there.

Here are some of the times I remember most..

  • The nights running on track in rain with my special strength shoes that made me jump higher and run faster
  • The extra hours I logged in the weight room after most of my teammates were long gone
  • The strict attention I paid to nutrition an supplementation while others subsisted on beer and fast food
  • The  extra reps I would take in practice so I could get better
My point is that adversity is what makes character. Today I face it all the time running a small business and raising a family. I often wonder had I had given up and quit back then how would I have ended up. Maybe I would be where I am at but I doubt it.

Adversity and challenges are part of life. Sadly many people cave when it comes up while others deal with it and come out stronger.  That one decision to stick out football and see my goals through I feel has shaped the rest of my life.  Had I not gone through those challenges back then I know I would not be able to be where I am today.

So my question is what challenges are you facing and how will you deal with them. Will you cave in and take the easy road out or will you face them head on and develop true character.

No comments: