Pages

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Winning your own gold medal


We all probably watched the Olympics this past summer, marvelling at the athletes, admiring their dedication, wishing we were as dedicated. Well, we can't all go to the Olympics our jobs and families demand too much of our time making it difficult to train like these athletes do.

Well, why can't we find an event and train for it?? Sure, we won't be swinging from the gymnastic rings anytime soon but we could run a 5k, do a mountain bike race, compete in a local bodybuilding show, or like one of our client did, climb a mountain!!
(Susan Peters crossing the finsih line of her first 5k after being
in a wheel chair for 12 years )

Life can get to be the same old thing day after day after day after day after day...

Why not shake it up??
Do something that stretches your boundaries and gets you out of your comfort zone. I know when I did bodybuilding getting up on stage in skimpy little suit was not in my comfort zone. I don't even like to wear tank tops. When I committed to doing those competitions, I knew that if I didn't stick to my training and nutrition plan that I would embarrass myself up there. It forced me to focus in and really give 100% effort.

The cool thing was that as challenging and difficult as the training and nutrition regimen was, it was so rewarding to challenge myself in a new way and actually see it through. I know many clients who have done the same.
One of my clients, could not walk and was in a wheel chair but had a goal to do 5k. Three years ago she did her first one in 3 hours and 20 minutes and last week she did her fourth one in 1 hour and 38 minutes. I'd say that initial goal was really outside the comfort zone of someone who had not walked for 12 years but she did it and has not looked back ever since. Each year she gets better and better. She truly has won her gold medal!!

What could be your gold medal? What it actually is, is not important but will it challenging you in new ways and will it be rewarding if you do it. If you have never done this, now is a better time than ever!! The doldrums of life are always going to be there so quit making excuses.

You'll find that setting a goal and actually accomplishing it is addicting. Identify your gold medal and write out your plan to achieve it. If you need help contact us at info@puravidafitness.com
we can help you set up a plan that is doable and workable.

Life should contain experiences that shape and build character , even though work, laundry, and house cleaning are important they don't do much in this category.

Look for some video on our 5k client coming up in the next few days. It is truly inspirational and the highlight of my career as a trainer.

No comments: